A UNT biology alumna and Terry Transfer Scholar, Melanie Ward hopes to open her own clinic and serve the rural community through osteopathic medicine. As an adult survivor of child sexual abuse and trauma, she is fervent about educating and empowering others to protect themselves and report assault. Her honors thesis focused on the experiences of sexual assault nurse examiners and how to support them in their work. She mentors young mothers at her local church and has a passion for teaching others about healthy boundaries. She and her husband, Michael, who have been married for 26 years, have an adult son and daughter and three adorable grandchildren. They live in Fort Worth and are adjusting to the empty nest life with their two spoiled cats.
- Survivors’ Access to Supportive Care Act (SASCA)
- 117th Congress (2021-2022) – H.R.2145 and S.926
- Fact sheet – www.help.senate.gov/download/sasca-2019-fact-sheet_final
- International Association of Forensic Nurses (IAFN) www.forensicnurses.org
- Test Pattern, a film by writer and director Shatara Michelle Ford
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) centers.rainn.org